Monday, July 7, 2008

So, sometimes crazy stuff happens at church

Ok, funny stuff happened yesterday at Amy's parents ward in Prescott. Remember, it was Fast and Testimony Meeting.

1. So, with all the family staying at Dave and Georgia's house over the 4th, we took up 2 big rows in church. Drex was sitting next to Jenny and JR, and right in front of Amy and I. As the Sacrament hymn was beginning, Amy whispered to Drex asking if he wanted a hymn book. He got a way-excited look on his face, and enthusiasticly said "Yes!" So, Jenny leaned over and gave him a hymn book. Then he got this confused look on his face, not sure what had just happened. He turned around and Amy asked him what was wrong. He asked, "What's this for?" Amy answered, "You said you wanted a hymn book." The clarity on his face was classic as he realized the miscommuniation. "Oh, hymn book. I thought you asked if I wanted a hamburger!"


Yes, Drex, on this Fast Sunday morning, we grilled up some burgers and have them here in the purse for you. But hurry and eat up, because the Sacrament hymn is almost over. Oh, and do you want fries with that? Just wondering. And take this large Coke with you as well. Share some with Braden. Crazy.





2. During testimonies, a little kid got up. We found out later that he gets up every Fast Sunday and bears a thematic testimony on different topics. Yesterday's was on rain. He started, "some people like rain, some poeple don't. I like rain. Raise your hand if you like rain." (Everyone in the congregation raised their hand). "Ok, now raise your hand if you don't like rain." (no one raised their hand). "Ya, that's about what I thought it would be." He then went on to tell us why he likes rain, but that the last few days the rain has been "annoying" him since it would start to rain and then stop. Start and stop. Start and stop.


It was cute, but I don't think he heard the counsel from the First Presidency a few weeks back. No audience participation during Sacrament Meeting. The next thing we know, he will be using props for his testimony and asking the congregation to turn to the scriptures with him. Not cool. Someone needs to sit down with him and ask him if he really is going to follow the prophet. In fact, raise your hand if you're going to listen to the prophet from here on out, kid!

3. The weirdest part happened to finish testimonies. Drex, apparently hungry from no burgers earlier in the meeting, asked me how much longer til the meeting was over. I checked the time and told him 6 more minutes. At about the same time, a testimony ended and 4 more people stood up and walked to the stand. Admittedly, I groaned a bit inside, knowing that we were gonna go over, a pet peeve of mine.

The last 2 testimonies were this young married couple. She got up first and introduced herself and her husband who were visiting, but had come for the baby blessing that day. (Great, I thought, visitors making the time go over. Double pet peeve.) And then she literally spent 2 minutes (of overtime, mind you) telling us about the debate she and her husband had about "if I go up then you have go up, but if you don't want to go up, you have to go up anyway because I want to go up.....blah blah blah." And then for 5 more minutes she continued to go on about how fun the family reunion this week has been, how her husband is the best returned missionary ever, and that hopefully she has done a pretty good job being the big sister to 3 brothers, but that she still has time to do better if she wasn't. Thankfully, she finally sat down

We were WAY over time when the best returned missionary ever stood up. He expressed his love to his crazy wife, and then acknowledged the time was short by saying (and I'm not kidding)....."Since our time is up, I want to bear my testimony today by singing you a hymn. Now, I haven't been singing for very long, but I want to do this. And this isn't a normal hymn for right now, but it has a great message about Christ. But due to the time, I will only sing the first and last verses of (wait for it...) 'Silent Night'." At this point I almost dry-heaved and burst out laughing at the same time. Amy and I made eye contact. There was the most uncomfortable feeling in the chapel, like everyone was thinking "no way this is happening". But it was. And sure enough he sang the the first and the last verses of a Christmas hymn. In July. For his testimony.


To top the meeting off, we all stood (which I don't think we are supposed to do) to sing all 3 verses of The Star Spangled Banner, including the verses that nobody knows. I wanted to shout "Play Ball" at the end of all the verses. What a crazy 90 minute meeting that should have been way shorter than that. But after church we went home, opened presents, then went driving aroung looking at Christmas lights. Oh, and ate candy canes too.

That is all.

Matt

15 comments:

Mary said...

Hilarious, literal LOL story. I'm only sad I missed all the fun!

Drex Davis said...

An instant classic.

peter said...

Our meeting started off like this:
1. Bishopric member gets up and welcomes stake president, who is visting.
2. Bishopric member allows bishop to get up and welcome a newly baptized child to the ward.
3. Bishopric member returns to pulpit and says the stake president makes him so nervous he forgets to have opening hymn and prayer.
4. Opening hymn
5. Opening prayer
6. Bishopric member says we'll now have a special musical number.
7. We all stand and sing all 3 verses of the star spangled banner. I wanted to yell, "play bal" after all three versus.
8. I couldn't figure out why we were doing this until halfway through the 2nd verse, someone showed up and walked to the priests and handed over a loaf of bread.
9. We finally sing the sacrament hymn and partake.

Oh, and I really think this should be posted on cougarboard...

Angie said...

I'm so glad you posted this on your blog! I was dying laughing, even the second time through. So, so funny.

Camille said...

I laughed so hard I cried when I read your story about your Sunday experience. I had to read it twice and even read parts out loud just for the full experience of hilarity. (Is that a word?!) It sounds sooo much like the experiences we have when we attend Jerel's parents' ward in Bakersfield. We always have storytime after church to discuss just how "trailer park" we got that Sunday. I thought our stories were good--but yours were hilarious. I'll have to blog about them too, although they won't be near as funny without your great commentary.

p.s. I've decided to read your story for family night tonight. It's good stuff!

p.p.s. I believe we are supposed to stand every time we sing The Star Spangled Banner--even in church. We're going to stand and sing it tonight in FHE, just to get the full effect of your Sunday experience. :)

Jenn Fort Haderlie said...

Matt, I was seriously having a bad day until I read this, I think I wet myself from laughing so hard! Peter up there was pretty funny to! Sure miss you Crosspoint people!

Camille said...

A little update after FHE:
1.There was a big discussion as to whether hamburgers are appropriate snack food for sacrament meeting--it sounded like some of them thought it was a good idea.
2. Someone asked if Drex supersized his meal. Good question I thought.
3. Someone noticed that we have Christmas stockings just like the ones in your picture.
4. Someone mentioned about the Bishop's messenger picking his nose on the stand . . . you'll have to stay tuned for our story on that.

laurakrummenacher said...

I showed this blog entry to the boys at Krazy Sub and they couldn't get over it. They might give you a free icecream cone if you go in and tell them you are the one from the hamburger/silent night blog.

grapeape said...

i see that Peter has informed you that we stood to sing all three verses of the Star-Spangled Banner... we had some interesting testimonies, but none sang Silent Night--what a hoot! and hamburgers during Sacrament Meeting?? sounds AWESOME to me. :)

kjgray75 said...

I can't believe how much you sound like Kirk when you write. I swear he could have penned the exact same experience. Very funny - thanks for sharing!

Steph said...

Holy Cow! I feel for you! I was visiting my mom and dad's ward in Soda, and though it was in no way as "festive" as yours, it was still LOOOOONNNNGG! Visitors galore (not me, mind you...some other family reunion), and more than one travel log. My kids asked the same "how much longer" question, and at one point I said "Forever!" I was a little miffed. All the directives from the First Presidency should be posted in neon lights during Fast and Testimony meetings!

Everyone who agrees raise your hands. Those who don't agree? Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. :)

Cous Steph

The Payne family said...

Hamburgers, ha! I just can't get over it.

sewdelightful said...

Too funny!

Christine said...

Seriously! One of the best I have read. From the hambergers down to going home to open presents! "Look at me, I'm crying, I'm really crying."

Thomas said...

I'm sitting here just trying (not successfully) to not to laugh out loud because everyone here is asleep. So so funny! Thanks for the post.
Mandy