Saturday, August 2, 2008

Family Fun Day!!! - LONG but awesome post. Please laugh and comment below that you laughed. This is my longest title for a post yet! Keep reading!

Today was among the best days of the summer. Mostly because Amy and I pretty much decided it would be. Admittedly, it was partially out of guilt for telling the kids we would be doing lots of fun stuff this summer that didn't pan out, we declared Saturday a no chores Family Fun Day. Out of an effort to not make this post 45 miles long, we put the pictures of Family Fun Day in one of those slide shows below. But let me explain a bit in advance.

We told the kids in a "team meeting" the other day that no chores would be done on Saturday. They looked at us with that same shocked expression that they normally give us EVERY Saturday when we tell them that they actually DO have chores. "Yes, you have chores. Same as last week, the week before that, and, oh ya, the week before that even." Our kids are weird. But what I'm trying to say is that the kids would have been thrilled if Family Fun Day consisted of ONLY not doing chores. But we took it to another level.

We began at 9AM at IHOP for breakfast. We lived up to their slogan: We came hungry and left happy. IHOP should have been happy about that, along with the money we gave them at the end of our meal. Those not too happy were the slew of old people who had to sit across from a family with 6 whole kids! They looked at us like someone stole their shuffleboard stick, like someone forgot to shuffle their deck of cards properly, or like someone who doesn't leave their blinker on for miles at a time. You get the drift. The food was excellent, but we forgot our camera to begin Family Fun Day, so you won't see any pics below of IHOP. Just trust us. We left happy.

Next we went to Brimhall Junior High Acquatic Center (fancy name for "pool at a junior high"). We spent several hours there swimming, splashing and generally participating in tomfoolery-ish activities. Many pics of this leg of the trip are posted below. Please completely and thoroughly disregard any and all pictures that include me (Matt, in case you already forgot who is writing this since it's already long and we've got a ways to go). Me and pools in general, as for now, just aren't a good mix. Ever heard the phrase "Two peas in a pod"? Well, that's not me and swimming. But we had a lot of fun. The three oldest jumping off the regular and high dives were funny. And Atlie looks very sweet and chubby in a swim suit. Check it out for yourself.

Next, after changing at the Acquatic Center Lobby Restrooms (big stall in the mens room), we got some lunch at Wendy's. The kids love Frosty's. There was a nice old lady that came and sat by us who, by the end of her meal, said some very complimentary things about our kids (well behaved, like each other, etc). It slightly redeemed the slew referenced earlier from IHOP. It also reminded me of a quote from Dumb and Dumber:

Lloyd: Excuse me, little old lady. Do you have change for a dollar?
Elderly woman: Change? No I'm sorry, I don't.
Lloyd: Well, can you do me a favor and watch my stuff here while I go break a dollar?
Elderly woman: Of course.
Lloyd: Thanks. Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. I'll be right back. Don't you go dying on me!

It made me laugh.

We then headed to Superstition Springs Mall to the Super Saver Cinema. In case you are wondering, what they are actually "saving" is money from refusing to update the ambiance from the 1991 thing they have going on right now, as well as forgetting to put some actual cushion in the cushion part of the seats. But we, the consumer, also saved by only having to spend $14 for a family of 8 to see Nims Island. Great movie, but Jo was quite tired at this point of the day. And by tired I mean loud. Which isn't ideal while watching a movie with lots of other people in attendance. Of course, the only answer was Skittles. She fell hard from that sugar high. There are some great pics of her almost folded up in her non-cushioned seat as she sleeps. Good stuff. Then we went upstairs at the mall and went on the double-decker merry-go-round. Kids LOVED it.

You'd think that this would have been a pretty full Family Fun Day. You'd be right. But we kept going. And what's more fun than Wal-Mart on a Saturday? Other than a shiv to your eye, nothing really. But we went shopping for school supplies. Don't be fooled though; school supplies are no longer things that the school provides for you. School supplies are the long list of things that the teachers ask each student to bring the first day of class, all listed in the "introduction" letter they send to the kids 2 weeks before class. The teachers do introduce themselves, but also introduce the 28 things that are needed to even be allowed entrance to classroom B-8 on the first day. And they all include hand sanitizer. Where was that when we were kids? Whatever. Anyways, besides having a lady over the loudspeaker announce "Amy, please come pick up Braden at the Jewelry counter" (he got lost) and the Nazi Wal-Mart shoe lady in the kids shoe section, the Wal-Mart trip was a success.

We came home, finally, and I went to go pick up Little Caesars pizza while the kids got in the tubs and showers. We enjoyed the pizza, and then finally finished a full day by watching College Road Trip, the new PG movie that Donny Osmond is in. I may or may not have watched it all. I was...busy doing very...important things. So, I missed most of it but heard the kids chuckling many times, and laughing a lot a few others. Jo was 0 for 2 making it all the way through the 2 movies for the day. But the other kids did great.

Anyways, that's about it. We had a great Family Fun Day. Amy and I are lucky to have kids that are so much fun to hang out with. They are great kids, regardless of the evil looks from the elderly.

Harry: Where's the booze?
Lloyd: I got robbed by a sweet old lady on a motorized cart. I didn't even see it coming.

If you made it this far, you are awesome.

Matt

10 comments:

Angie said...

What a great day! So glad your kids had at least ONE fun summer day. I couldn't see any pics on the slide show. All that's showing is an ad to sign up to make my own slide show.

Angie said...

Now I saw it. Cute pics. Atlie's looking old!

Steph said...

Your post was made all the more comical with the Dumb and Dumber references. 'Don't you go dyin' on me!' Classic!

You two have to be the most fun parents in the world. Can I come live with you? My kids think I'm old...which is very true. :) Your kids are all cuties! Amy: It would help if you would look a day over 20. Work on that, ok? Thanks!

Cous Steph

Camille said...

You're right, Atlie looks especially cute in her swimsuit. And cool diving board pics--Braden looks like he's hanging from the tree in his. You've inspired me to make up for all the fun that I promised my kids and didn't quite get to this summer. I've got one week left. Oh, and I can't forget, yes I laughed, a lot, because as was testified in church today, "You say some of the funniest things that I've ever heard."

Cindy said...

So fun. We have had a pretty lazy, boring summer as well. But, just this week, we finished a major boat overhaul and have been on the river three times. And this weekend, the tube comes out of storage. Yea for fun summer days. Thanks for sharing some adorable pictures of your kids.

Val said...

Matt!! You are wayyy too hilarious for me! I love you and your fam! You guys are awesome!

grapeape said...

my favorite photo was you coming off the water slide, Matt!! :) HA! me and swimming aren't "two peas in a pod" either. ...always the comedian, aren't ya??? :)

Mary said...

I think that the only thing better than your fun family day was how funny your description of it was. Classic. No wonder everybody believes you are true--I do, too.

The Payne family said...

So I know family fun day was a lot of fun and all but don't you think it's about time for some news posts up in here? Some of us need some entertainment at work. Geesh!

laurakrummenacher said...

Oh where oh where have the Rasmussens gone? Oh where oh where can they be.....